Wednesday, April 18, 2012

no sleep for the thoughtful

You've heard someone say, "I think best when I'm in the shower," right?

Or, "I do my best thinking when I'm running."

Orrr, "My head is clearest when I'm riding my bike."  

"When I'm swimming."  

"When I'm cooking."

Well, would you like to know when my best thinking is done?

As I'm falling asleep.

And I can't tell you how many superb blogs or papers or books I've written in my head that I can't remember now that I'm more fully awake.

It has occurred to me that maybe they aren't actually such great ideas - that I just think they are because I'm half asleep.  But, on the other hand, the times that I do remember them, they actually were pretty good ideas. [Judging by my own standards at least.  And that isn't saying much.]

Maybe I should just keep a pad of paper and a pencil nearby so that I can jot down whatever ideas I'm magically generating in my half-asleep, half-awake state.  But I value my sleep so much that this particular idea doesn't seem overwhelmingly appealing.  Because then I would wake myself up even further, and who knows?  It could become some horrible cycle where I start to fall asleep, have an inspirational idea, wake up enough to write down said idea, and then the wonderful/awful cycle starts all over again and I never fall asleep.

I should take the fact that this post is only semi-coherent as a sign that I would be completely lucid in my half-asleep state.

[Or maybe I should just remember that logic has never been my strong suit.]

When do you do your best thinking?

p.s.  Didn't you just love having Camille guest post yesterday?  She's a doll.

p.p.s.  Don't forget to read my secret here.

7 comments:

Jana said...

When I'm walking/jogging. Whenever there's no chance of me writing anything down.

Unknown said...

My best thinking happens when I'm no where NEAR anything to write it down! It's so annoying! And dude, I SOO didn't know you could do all that stuff with a library card! I'm gettin on that right now! ;)

Fran said...

So there with you, I also do some of my best thinking when I'm about to fall asleep. And, like you, I can never remember them the next day, hate it! lol

katilda said...

i once woke up thinking i had a great idea for song lyrics, and i had a headache in my nose/eye region, and i leaned over and scribbled down my song lyrics....in the morning it said a bunch of stuff i could barely read, including "headache in my face." i think it coulda been a real hit...

I'll Love You Forever said...

mmm, probably when I am working out or when I am about to fall asleep, too!

Emma Frances said...

I do my best thinking when I'm half asleep too! Either that or when I should be paying attention during class but am not. Haha. Doesn't one of the apostles always keep a pad of paper and pencil on his bedside because that's when he would get his best inspiration??

Natalie said...

Emma, I think you are right! Also, I have heard of famous mathematicians/scientists, ect that would fall asleep with heavy objects in their hands while sitting so the thing would drop to the floor as they fell asleep and wake them so they could jot down their thoughts...Thats an idea!