Friday, June 1, 2012

asking God

"How can I know which church is true when there are so many?"

The sun filtered through the trees onto the picnic blanket that the three of us were sprawled out on.  My friend continued with her questions.

"I mean, how could you know for sure?"

I toyed with a blade of grass between my fingers, stalling the moment when I would have to answer.  My thirteen-year-old brain scrambled to come up with an adequate answer, but I came up with nothing.  Nothing.

When I got home that night, I mentioned the conversation to my dad.  He said something so simple but so powerful that I still remember it to this day.

"Joseph Smith had that same question.  And he decided to ask God about it."

That made sense to me.  Even if I didn't know for sure if Joseph Smith really was a prophet of God, it made sense to me that you could find out by asking God.

And so I decided to ask.  And the answer I received over time has changed my life.

But you don't have to take my word for it.

You can find out for yourself.

Watch this:


And maybe this, if you're feeling ambitious:


And then pray about it.

You will find out for yourself.

I did.

*And email me if you have any questions.  I would love to hear from you.*

2 comments:

katilda said...

i like this very much.

Alexis Kaye said...

you are so sweet to write about this :)