Tuesday, May 14, 2013

in this moment

Her soft snores whistle quietly in my ear.

I hold her tiny body close to mine for just a second longer - that second in which my mind is fighting with my tired body over whether I should just cradle her in my arms for the remainder of the night.  My body wins, and I set her carefully down in the bassinet at the foot of our bed.

I take comfort in her continuous, delicate snores as I lay down in our bed.  I turn on my side, facing the wall, and will my body to fall asleep.  Unexpectedly, I feel your arm come around my body as you move closer to me.  I relish your warmth against my back.

"I didn't know you were still awake!" I exclaim quietly.

"I haven't been able to fall asleep yet," you answer.

There is a pause.

"I love you," you whisper breathily into the back of my neck.

"That tickles!" I protest.  We both giggle silently in the darkness for a few moments, ever aware of our sleeping princess just a few feet away.

A quiet smile still on my face, I whisper back to you.

"I love you, too."

And in this moment, I know my whole world is right here in this room.  Right here.  In this moment.

1 comment: