Tuesday, March 6, 2012

getting food for free

I've told you that Tim and I like to get things for free, right?  Remember this?

Well have I told you that we sometimes unintentionally get things for free?

Like that time we went to Bahama Bucks and they randomly let us have our drinks for free.  Or that time we went to Oregano's and they messed up our order and gave us the whole meal on the house.

That was pretty great.

Well last Friday, we were trying to think of something creative and cheap to do.  We went through my wallet and found a few gift cards that still had a few dollars left on them.  So, naturally, we decided to make a night out of using the leftover mulah.

The first stop?  La Bocca on Mill Avenue.


We split some amazing bruschetta.  Seriously.  Awesome.


At the end, we gave the waiter our gift card.  [There wasn't enough money on the gift card to cover the whole thing, but it was enough to make it much cheaper.]  A few minutes later, he came back and said that he couldn't figure out how to use the gift card, so we could just have the food for free.  And he gave back the gift card.

Oh really?  That's too bad.  Ok, well, if I must...

The next stop was Red Robin.


We didn't have very much on the card, so we just decided on each of us getting chicken tortilla soup and french fries.  And as unappetizing as that picture may make it look, the soup was actually really good.


And, of course, I had to get a freckled strawberry lemonade.  [Because the freakin' $4.00 is worth it, unfortunately.]



At the end, our waiter brought us our check.  Tim immediately noticed that the freckled lemonade wasn't listed and mentioned it to the waiter, who said, "Don't worry about it!"

So we got that for free, too.  Whaaat!

Occasionally I wonder if things like that happen because we look pathetically poor, or something.

And if that's the case....I'll take it.

Not to mention that a few days earlier, we went to IHOP on their pancake day and got a free short stack.


Tim's sister, Melissa, suggested it and our stomachs will forever be indebted to her.

Moral of the story?  There's no shame in looking [or being] pathetically poor.

It just might pay off.

7 comments:

katilda said...

moral of this story? i need to go out to eat with you more. i'm really good at winning things. i can win us something and you can get the food for free.

Suget said...

haha that is so cool
I only once got a free meal... and it was because we seriously forgot our debit card at the apartment. I offered to wait at the restaurant so the bf could run home to get the card, but they were so nice to let us have it on the house... maybe they thought we really didn't have the money hahaha (:

karajean said...

Mmmmm Red Robin. I worked there for a good year and a half, and let me tell you something. The server wasn't being nice b/c you look poor... the did it b/c they were hoping you would give them a bigger tip. Promise! Still jealous though. That soup is dang delicious.

The Muse said...

Awesome! I also love shamelessly accepting free stuff :)

Rebecca Elizabeth said...

ummm I think we need to hang out more...and looking at all that fooood, I was thinking, "Get in ma bellay!"

Emma Frances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Frances said...

Dang you two are lucky! And I need to try this freckle strawberry lemonade that I have been hearing so much about recently! Next time I'm in the valley I'm going to Red Robin!