Monday, January 9, 2012

wedding day [part 1]

Remember that time I got engaged?  [You can read about it here, here, and here.]

That was a pretty good time.

But what was an even better time was that day I actually got married.

I told you about the day before I got married.

But I haven't told you very much about the day of, have I?

In truth, writing about it scares me a little bit.  I don't want to leave anything out or get anything wrong or do a bad job writing about it.  But there is a higher chance of that happening the longer I wait, I suppose...

August 5, 2011: The Wedding Day

In theory, sleeping by myself in our new apartment the night before our wedding seemed like a good idea.  But in actuality, it would have been way nicer to have other people there.  For one thing, my nerves were far beyond what I wanted to deal with on my own.  And for another thing, trying to fix a hot water heater by yourself is way harder than it sounds.


Ok, let's back up a little.

My eyes flew open as my 6:00am alarm sounded, and I realized immediately that I wouldn't even need the other two alarms I'd set.  I took a minute just to soak it all in.  A fresh bought of nerves and excitement hit me and I immediately wished I'd taken Katie's offer to spend the night with me.  Or that my parents had gotten to Mesa early enough for me to spend the night with them.

Promptly at 6:05am, the phone rang.  I smiled.  Tim is always right on time.

"Hello?" I said, knowing full well who it was.

"Hey babe," said a sleepy voice.  "Happy Wedding Day!  Were you asleep?"

"Hey," I said, my smile growing larger by the second.  "No, I actually wasn't.  But thank you for the wake-up call just the same.  I'm so excited!  I love you."

"I love you, too.  I'll let you go so you can get ready.  But I'll see you soon, ok?"

We ended the call, and I walked into the bathroom.  There was a note from Tim.  Of course, I should have known, I thought.  He'd been sneakily leaving me notes in random places, sometimes accompanied by presents, for the past nine days.  Today it was just a sweet note telling me how excited he was to marry me and how much he loved me and couldn't wait to see me.

I smiled again.  [You'll notice this trend throughout the day.]

I went to turn on the water to the shower.  Huh, that's weird, I thought.  The water isn't heating up.  Maybe I'll turn the knob the other way.  Nope, that isn't working, either.  Uhhh...I don't really want to take a cold shower...

I called my dad in a panic.

"How do you fix a water heater?"

My dad groggily tried to explain what to do, but it's pretty hard to explain such a thing over the phone, especially when the receiver knows as little about appliances as I do.  Eventually, I gave up and resigned myself to a cold shower.  [At least it was invigorating?]

After I'd done my make-up and dried by hair, I headed over to the house where I was getting my hair done by the lovely Ashtyn.  [That's right.  She took our engagement and pre-wedding photos and did my hair.  Talent, I tell you.]  I showed up late, but I figured Ashtyn was probably used to my tardiness by now.  She welcomed me graciously and got my hair done with twenty minutes to spare.

During the drive to the temple, I wished for the hundredth time that I wasn't by myself.  I called my mom and begged her to get there as fast as possible.  Once I got there, I sat in the parking lot and tried to be patient.  I called my mom again to see where she was.  I organized everything in sight.  I made sure I had my temple recommend.  I made sure my dress wasn't being squished.  Then I called my mom again.

After what seemed like an hour, my family drove into the parking lot.  [It was probably more like 15 minutes.]  I got out and excitedly hugged my mom and practically screamed "hello" to my brothers and dad.  They told me I looked beautiful, and I smiled.  I felt beautiful today.

"Umm...I can't find my recommend."

I stared at my mom.  "What?"  I said, dumbfounded.

"I hope I didn't leave it in Prescott."

"What?" I said.  [Stress brings out the eloquence in me, obviously.]

If my mom didn't find her temple recommend, that would mean that she wouldn't be able to go into the temple with us.

Which would mean she'd be waiting outside.

Which would mean that my mom wouldn't be able to see me get married.

Continue to Part 2.


Natalie said...

Such a cliff hanger! AH! I love your writting style Katie!

Ali said...

Dude I know that craziness! I made my Maid of Honor spend the night with me before I got married ;) I knew I wouldn't be sleeping very much and wanted my BFF with me ;) MY second mom (my mom's BFF) had given her recommend to her husband to hold so after they helped me get dressed, me my mom nad the temple ladies had to help me out of my dress hahahahaha ;) It was a great funny day ;)

Brooke said...

I love that we got married on the same day (almost. mine was the 6th), and that we both separately decided to write about our weddings just now. haha. Cute blog! I'm a new follower :)

Kaycie- Redhead Memories said...

Ahh, can't wait to hear what happens next!

Siri Natalia said...

Such a great beginning! Love it! :) You are so gorgeous!

Kimberly Bonham said...

Love this post! You are stunning!