Thursday, August 26, 2010

conclusions

Today I came to two conclusions:

1.) After three years of higher education, the most important thing I've learned thus far is that I know nothing. The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I am. Which means life will always be interesting because I will always have something to learn.

2.) My body is smarter than I am. Think about it:

I breathe. I don't think about it.

My blood flows throughout my body and does all kinds of cool things. I don't think about it.

My eyes, in connection with my brain, take tons of tiny pictures within milliseconds. I don't think about it.

Heck, I couldn't reproduce those things if I wanted to. Consciously, anyway. They just happen. I couldn't explain to someone else how to breathe or make their blood flow. Because I don't even know how the heck it happens. I try to learn about it, but I don't understand it all. Most of the things I do every day (without even thinking about them) would require extensive calculus and/or chemistry if I were actually thinking about it. But I don't. Those things just happen. But if I were to program a robot to do those things, I would have to teach it all those complicated mathematical equations first.

On the other hand, that robot wouldn't have a consciousness. So I suppose it wouldn't even be wondering about how or why it works the way it does.

Like I am.

What I'm really trying to say is that it's pretty awe-inspiring that those incredibly complicated things happen every day...and we don't even think about it. We try to figure it out, but we didn't make ourselves the way we are.

But Someone did.

I suppose that is my third (unmentioned above) conclusion. Thinking about all of this makes me even more sure of one thing:

That we have a loving Heavenly Father who created us and knows and understands all of this even if I don't. He's pretty amazing.

So my body is smarter than I am because of Him.

Which means all of my conclusions are interrelated. And that's ok with me.

I'm glad to be back in school.

No comments: