Wednesday, June 8, 2011

it's great except for...

Ok...at the risk of losing more than half of my readers [so all two of you...haha jk, I see my stats!]...I would just like to say:

Don't go see X-Men: First Class.

See what I mean?  You're probably already getting ready to leave this page.  But just hear me out.

The second half of the movie was EPIC.  Amazing.  Exciting.  Had me on the edge of my seat.

But the first half?

Chalk-full of scantily-clad women in bad situations.  [But let's face it, scantily-clad women usually cause - or at least hover around - bad situations.]

Does seeing immodestly dressed women affect me very much?  Not really.  Other than a general lack of the Spirit which seems to accompany them.  But it does affect the men in our lives.  A lot.  A lot more than we'd like to think.  And even if they're trying to have clean thoughts, scenes like the ones in X-Men: First Class will make it 1,267 times more difficult.  Scenes that would have been R or even X rated not so many years ago.

Am I a prude?  I hope not.  But maybe.  If being a prude means that I don't want to put good men in situations where they have to fight for their thoughts then maybe I am.

I could look up a thousand quotes from prophets and apostles about why movies like that aren't good for our spirits.  You know I could.  But I won't.

The sad part is that I really did like the second half.  It was really epic and amazing and spectacular and exciting and all of those other positive adjectives.  And I just love the comic book movies in general.  It's the romantic part of me that secretly wants to believe that superheros actually exist.  [In the old sense of the word romantic, naturally.]

But, prude or not, I simply cannot get past the first half.  I wish I would have left at the very first hint of a bad scene.  But I didn't.  I sat through it all.  And felt sick inside.



I know X-Men: First Class isn't the only movie out right now with scenes like that.  And it certainly won't be the last.  [Our poor children.]  It's just the only one I've seen recently.

Feel free to disagree with me.  I promise this isn't some sort of judgement passed on all of you that have seen it and liked it.

What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Alexis Kaye said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I agree with your ethical views. It's not because I'm girly, but I have a had time watching "boy" movies. Fast and the Furious is one that comes to mind. I hate how women are portrayed so often in "super hero" movies, that doesn't seem very super to me! And I definitely relate to that sick to your stomach feeling. I get that with extreme violence scenes too, which I also think can rob us of the spirit.

shirley elizabeth said...

My example would be The Dark Knight. Oh yes, an excellent telling of the Batman story with some pretty epic scenes, but it is also so full of evil. Like you I wonder, "why didn't I just leave?" Especially since I spent the time crying into Mike's armpit.

Sure, people may call us (or me) sensitive, as if it's a bad thing, but I think we're meant to be sensitive. God needs us to be sensitive, and it's something that's hard to regain after it's been lost. (Important to note that sensitivity and naivety are different.)

Tim said...

KATIE YOU ROCK!! I AGREE

Ashley Slater said...

I will not being seeing this movie for the sheer fact that I think it looks gay. Yep. gay.

also, thanks for the compliments on the New York pics...it is really just because of our awesome camera (nikon d50) that NEVER really takes a bad picture! It is awesome for me!

Collin&Tatum said...

I agree! You're so great Katie! Thanks for being so vocal about it.