Sunday, June 3, 2012

our story [part 8]

Read Part 7 here.  Or if you're a newcomer, head over to the "Love Story" tab up top.

Monday morning brought writing the hardest letter I’d ever written.

It is still incomprehensible to me that one person can feel so much sadness and happiness at one time and in one moment.

As I was lacing up my running shoes that afternoon, I got a text from Tim.

Do you want to go get Bahama Buck’s with me before we start recording?

Some strange mixture of knots and butterflies entered my stomach as I realized what that would mean.  It would be my first first date in over three years.

I excitedly read the text aloud to Katie and Chantal, who squealed loudly and immediately told me I had to go.

I texted him back and told him that I’d love to and headed out for my much-needed run.

Tim told me that he’d pick me up at 7:00pm.  In all my prior experience with dating, that meant he probably wouldn’t be there until at least 7:15pm, but probably not until 7:30pm, so I didn’t hurry to get ready.

Promptly at 6:59, the doorbell rang.  That couldn’t be Tim already, could it? I wondered.  I opened the door to find Tim’s face smiling back at me.

“Wow, you’re on time!” I said, unable to keep the surprise out of my voice.

“Yep,” he laughed. “I’m always on time.  Ready?”

My next shock was the way Tim opened every door I passed through.  Every single door, including the passenger’s side door of his truck.  Then he told me I could get whatever I wanted at Bahama Buck’s, and he really seemed to mean it.

We spent the entire evening talking and laughing and getting to know each other better.  I found that I continued to like and respect him even more the more I got to know him.  Nothing seemed to ruffle this man’s feathers.  Not his recording equipment failing, not bad drivers – nothing.  He just seemed to take everything in stride.

Still unsure of myself and what I wanted, I tried to avoid touching him at all.  For now, I just wanted to get to know him better.  Make a good friend.

But it’s pretty hard to keep things in the “friend zone” when you’re recording a romantic song and enjoying each other’s company so immensely.

I learned that pretty quickly.


Continue on to Part 9!

1 comment:

katilda said...

I love reliving all of this. It takes me back! Time flies. Now I feel nostalgic. Please excuse me while I go weep somewhere. PMS, that's all. Also...I like the part where I squealed!