Sunday, November 18, 2012

pain, love, and holiday fun

Important Announcement #2: Tim just hit the top of his head really hard on the bottom of our armoire.  Just like I did in the last post.

Logically, this means one of two things.  Either we really need to be more careful, or that armoire is just out to get us.  And I think we all know which is the more reasonable conclusion.


Here's a picture of Ellie and me at 26 weeks and a couple of days.  I just love that little girl more and more every day.

And isn't that skirt fun?  I won it during the ModestPop.com giveaway over at Katie's blog, and I love love love it.  It's been years since I owned any floor-length skirts and now I want like 20 more of them.  It is so cute and comfortable.  Plus I think the last time I won any sort of giveaway/raffle/drawing was at a piano recital when I was eight years old.  They gave me a tiny stuffed animal Pooh bear, which I loved, don't get me wrong, but that was like 15 years ago.  And a girl's luck has got to change sometime.  [Though I just remembered that I won a raffle for a two-night hotel stay like two years ago, so maybe my luck is better than I thought.]

Speaking of luck, I have the best, most reassuring husband.  The other day I was feeling legitimately concerned about my ability to be a good mom, because I know that even though I already love my little girl more than I can even comprehend, being a mom involves so much more than just loving.  It involves selflessness and time and talents, which frankly, I question myself about far too often.

I expressed all of my concerns to Tim, and he in turn gave me a priesthood blessing, which I wholeheartedly believe came straight from my Heavenly Father.  That blessing told me, among other things, that if Heavenly Father cared enough to help a child find a lost toy, then He certainly cared enough to help me with something as important as motherhood.  And I was reminded again how involved He is in the intricate details of my life, and about how much He cares.  A calmness washed over me as I realized that Tim and I will not be alone.  And we never have been.


Is anyone else getting ridiculously excited for the upcoming holidays?  Thanksgiving is this week, y'all.  I am so happy.  Growing up, my dad always had a rule that we couldn't sing, listen to, talk about, or even think about Christmas music until after Thanksgiving.  And while that may or may not be an exaggeration, he would be absolutely astonished to discover that I listened to Christmas music on the radio a couple of days ago.  And I liked it.  Shhh.  But don't worry, I am just as excited about giving thanks and eating gargantuan amounts of turkey.

Oh and I made this caramel apple cider and this peach cobbler last night, and they were a big hit!  And they were so, so easy to make.  Highly recommended.  Five stars.  Two thumbs up.

Happy Holidays, my friends!  I hope this week is magical for all of you.

5 comments:

karajean said...

I was legitimately concerned about being a good mom until the moment they put Owen in my arms. I, like you, knew I would love him but was afraid that just wouldn't cut it. What I didn't realize was that when you love someone that much all the other stuff comes naturally. It really does. You'll be great.

The Muse said...

First of all, I love that skirt. Like, really love it.

Second of all, karajean is right. It will come to you. And when it doesn't, prayer really helps. There's always room for improvement, but we do the best we can with what we know. You WILL be great.

If I've learned nothing else in the past year and a half of being a mom, it's that God loves mothers. You'll be okay, and so will Ellie. :)

Fran said...

That skirt, I WANT.

and I wish I had some good advice on this but I think a lot of it is instinct, it's not like we come with instruction manuals. Also, I heard a quote once along the lines of "if you're worrying about being a good parent, you're probably already one - because you care" ;)

Mrs. Pancakes said...

The skirt is super cute...ouch on hitting his head...that can't be fun!

katilda said...

luff luff luff that skirt. you win.