Sunday, January 20, 2013

the new moms secret club

No one ever told me that shopping for your own baby was going to be so fun.  Expensive, certainly.  But oh, so fun.

On Saturday, Tim and I drove into Ogden with the intention of buying the rest of the baby stuff that we didn't already have.  [I realize that we will probably run out of diapers and wipes within the first week, but I have already resigned myself to that fact.  The rest of the stuff was just way more tempting.]

For about a week now, I have been experiencing a "fire in the belly," as my dad would call it, when it comes to getting things ready for our baby.  The rest of the civilized world might call this phenomenon "nesting."  In fact, the first room in our new place to get completely [read: mostly] unpacked was the guest room/nursery.  Tim even spent a couple of long evenings after work putting together the crib and the bassinet and other things just so I could relax a little bit.  [Let's not dwell on the fact that our living room is a complete disaster area and I'm not even that concerned about it.]

I realize that I still have a little over four weeks till my due date.  But.  The truth of the matter is that our precious baby girl could make her appearance any day now if she wanted to.  I have just over a week until I'm considered "full term."  If I were to venture a guess, though, I would speculate that she won't be born at least until her due date.  But there's always that "what-if" question lingering in the back of my mind.

I'm sure the Target employees will be eternally grateful that Tim was there with me on Saturday to help make baby supply-buying decisions, because I literally could have stood and stared at the various brands of shampoo and monitors and things like breast pumps [that most of you probably don't even want to think about] for hours.  Days, maybe.  Who knew all this stuff could get so complicated?  I began to seriously consider the possibility that all of you new moms out there enter into a secret club in which you all decide to keep quiet and surreptitiously giggle at the rest of us who are trying to figure all this out.  [Ok so maybe it wasn't all that serious of a consideration.]  [But really.]

Even though it was confusing and at times frustrating, trying to figure out what we would really need, the exhilaration I felt at the checkout line was immense.  It almost made me forget that my feet felt the weight of a thousand elephants resting upon them.  Almost.

I can't do a ton of decorating in the "nursery," given that it's also the guest room and the fact that we're just renting for who-knows-how-long, but I do plan on doing a little bit.  And when I've done that, I'll try to remember to post some pictures.  But in the meantime, here's a picture of the bassinet in our room:


Isn't it precious?  Tim's sister Brigette gave it to us [holla!] and I just think it is the cutest thing in the whole world.

I feel like I have 1,013 more things to update you all about, but as I have a tendency to turn my blog posts into novels, I'll do you all a favor and stop there for now.  But as long as I'm not busy unpacking, taking a nap, watching tv, or unexpectedly going into labor, I'll be sure to post again soon.

1 comment:

katilda said...

I'm pretty sure I did look at that picture of the bassinet and say "That's the cutest most precious thing in the whole world," before you said it too.