Thursday, August 11, 2011

guest post - Kara

[Getting back from my honeymoon late tonight!  And probably wishing I could stay longer...]

Ok kids...now you get to hear from someone I've never met in person.  [At least that I remember...but if I remember correctly, she's going to ASU, so we may have met at some point.  Who knows.  #smallmormonworld]

Her name is Kara, and her blog is absolutely charming.  I remember her guest posting on another friend's blog once and so I snooped through her blog a little bit - only to become engrossed by her life.  And her love story.  And her writing style.  Check it.  You're can thank me later.  [Or now.  Whichever you choose.]

Here she is, ladies and gents!

__________________________________________________________

I’m pretty stoked to be here posting for Katie while she is away getting married and basking in the kind of happiness that only can be achieved when looking at an absurdly large pile of wedding presents. {Kidding, sort of.} I like to think that I still have a little bit of newlywed glow, even though I have been married for 7 months now.


My name is Kara and I blog at Not A Couple’s Blog. Would you like to know a little bit about my blog history? I thought so.

When I was a freshman in college I started a blog one Friday night while sitting in my dorm room. {I was popular, obviously.}

I wrote in it for the next couple of years, but because not many people read it and I have a flair for the dramatic I mostly wrote about my tragic love life. And by that, I mean I wrote a heckuva lot of posts about this tall guy who looked good in a suit whom I was slowly but surely falling in love with. My posts were so tortured and ridiculous, it was awesome.

And then one day, after about 6 months of pining, the tall boy and I became an officially official couple. Suddenly, I didn’t know how to write in my blog anymore. I didn’t want to write about the boy and how happy I was if we the whole situation didn’t work out. I remedied the situation by making my blog private and not writing in it for months and months and months.

But then the boy proposed, and I started planning a wedding and a marriage and a life and a blog. Yes, another blog. There would be one. This, I was sure of. But I did not want it to be one of those blogs called “scottandkara” where I only updated once every 5 months to say “this is what’s happening in my life” and “Ohmygosh I looooooooove my husband!!!!!!!!!!!” {Even though I do. Really.} I also did not want to give the illusion that this blog somehow belonged to Scott because, let’s be honest, he doesn’t really care what I write. I’m fairly certain he has never read my blog, unless it’s because I read it to him or his family can’t stop laughing about that dumb thing I did that one time and wrote about it.

And so, Not A Couple’s Blog was born. It’s my blog. But yes, more often than not, it is about a couple.



What can I say?

I have spent a lot of my new married life laughing, and I like to write about that.

I also like to read about other people’s newlywed adventures, which is why I am so very excited for Katie to get back from her honeymoon and give us the skinny. But only on the blog appropriate stuff. Duh.

P.S. After the wedding I started writing down our entire love story, even the parts that were too depressing for me to write about at the time. You can read more here. I promise it has a happy ending, once you get through all the tortured longing and batted eyelashes.

1 comment:

Emma Frances said...

Love Kara's guest post. And can't wait for you to come back from your honeymoon to read all about it! :] {randeashby.blogspot.com}