Wednesday, May 11, 2011

food glorious food

You may notice that a disproportionate number of my posts revolve around food.

There is a very simple reason for this:

I love food.

I love looking at it, smelling it, talking about it, tasting it....

you get the idea.

I don't realize how much of my life revolves around food until I go to write about my life.  I promise I don't actually eat that many times a day.  Or even that much per day.  But it is, perhaps, one of the highlights my day.

Having said all of that, Tim and I love to cook together.  [Ok truth be told, we do like to cook together, but it is perhaps more accurate to say that we love to eat together.  It is possible that we go out to eat way more than we should.]  And when we do cook, we make some bomb food.

Let's take our tacos for example.  We have made some great tacos in our time.  However.  On Cinco de Mayo, Tim decided that he wanted to make tortillas.  As in, from scratch.  Like buying masa and adding all the ingredients [and not buying them in the grocery store like a normal person].  I was skeptical of this idea, but decided to go along.

To make a very long story short, between the masa dough sticking to our hands and plates and pans and not being able to get the dough thin enough, it didn't work out very well.  [But it was kinda fun(ny).]

Example 1

Example 2

Luckily, we had some leftover uncooked tortillas from the grocery store.  [Have you ever bought uncooked tortillas?  5, 496, 201 times better than the already-cooked ones.  All you have to do is heat them up in a pan.]

I <3 Uncooked Torillas

Here's a good look at our bomb.com tacos (minus the homemade tortillas):


And some of our very healthy ingredients (it does happen sometimes):


Moral of the story?  Use uncooked tortillas from the grocery store.  Unless you're a native Hispanic and/or have had extensive training or happen to possess a tortilla press.

What are some of the ingredients, you may ask?

uncooked tortillas (duh)
chicken smothered in Chipotle Ranch salad dressing
cheese
lettuce
green onions
cilantro
lime

Pretty simple.  Now, go and do.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Looks yummy! OK you two....next time we come to visit, you are on for making us a dinner of bomb tacos. We Easterners need the education.....yummmmmmm :)

Alexis Kaye said...

This is awesome! and seriously making my mouth water!!! I'm with you though. I think/talk/eat wayyyy too much food! So that sentence didn't totally make sense, but I think you got the idea :)

Gentri said...

mmm! Yum! :) I often find myself saying "I could post about this food today!" and then I don't because I would be posting about food or rather- what food I'm craving or can't get enough of, every day.hahaha! Thanks for joining my blog! It made me so happy. :) Promise I'll follow your blog asap. The computer I'm on doesn't let me click follow. Dumb.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

This looks amazingly yummy. LOVE FOOD :)